What topics are in-scope on Mi Yodeya? Can I see some examples?
What topics are out-of-scope on Mi Yodeya? Can I see some examples?
Where can I discuss changing these guidelines?
The community has generally accepted this as the canonical list of in- and out-of-scope topics on Mi Yodeya.
If you have a question about...
- Jewish law or practice (what to do or why)
- Jewish philosophy
- a Jewish text (explaining a passage)
- history of Judaism
- language used in Judaism
- general knowledge (science, etc.) as it relates directly to Judaism
... then you've come to the right place. Please, ask away!
On the other hand, questions unrelated to Judaism, even if they are about...
- other religions
- Hebrew language
- Jews, Jewish history, and Israel
- Who devised Israel's current parliamentary system?
- Who was responsible for the deaths in the flotilla incident off Israel's coast?
- How many Jewish members are there in the U.S. Congress?
- How did the Jews get to control all the banks and news media?
- In which way antisemitic attitudes against Jews began to become more extreme under the Nazi regime?
... are generally off-topic.
Any requests to change standing site policy should be directed to Mi Yodeya Meta. First, though, please see the primary thread which led to formulation of the above material and other questions with the scope tag.