Several times, the community has discussed and requested an easier way to link to sources. So recently, with the help of Hashem yisborach
, and @Menachem, I threw together a quick script to do just that.
It links to Tanach and most of Talmud Bavli, and with the help of the community, we've added Rambam's Mishna Torah, and subsequently Shulchan Aruch and Kitzur Shulchan Aruch. Though it has lots of features, the markdown-like syntax is simple, and it accepts many spellings and abbreviations. It also accepts "flags", extra options that that can be added at the end of the reference.
[t bereishis 3 4]-> http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/8167#v=4
[t bereishis 3 4 l]-> [Bereishit 3:4](http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/8167#v=4)
- Add an
rto link to rashi, an
mfor Mechon Mamre, or an
- The verse is optional, omit it to link the whole chapter.
[g berachot 4b]-> http://hebrewbooks.org/shas.aspx?mesechta=1&daf=4b&format=pdf
- Add an
llike above, or a
tto link to the text version.
- Mishna Torah
[mt deos 4 2]-> http://www.mechon-mamre.org/i/1204.htm#2
- Add an
l, like above, or an
eto go to Chabad.org's English version.
- Both the chapter and the halacha can be omitted.
- Shulchan Aruch
[sa oc 12]-> http://beta.hebrewbooks.org/tursa.aspx?a=oc_x363
- Sections names are
eh(Even HaEzer), or
Kitzur Shulchan Aruch
[ksa 12 3]-> http://www.yonanewman.org/kizzur/kizzur12.html#3
The script automagically detects thousands of spellings, and will convert them to one main spelling. If you want to keep your own spelling simply use a
uinstead of the
More syntax rules available here, and in Menachem's excellent write-up below.
- Want to download it? Click here for instructions
- Want to see the code? Click here
- Found a bug? Add a spelling or abbreviation? Request a feature? Ping @HodofHod in this chat room
- Just want to say thanks? A lot of people contributed to make this happen. @Menachem, @msh210, @CharlesKoppelman, @IsaacMoses, @MonicaCellio, @DoubleAA, are just the ones at the tip of my tongue.
If people find this useful and convenient, I will continue developing it, adding more features and sources, so please let me know!
Also, the formatting on this question is driving me meshugeh. If anyone can figure out a cleaner more accessible form, please edit it!